Flavor Recommendations: Sweet and Spicy, Jamaican Jerk, Original Hickory, Mesquite Apple, Savory Chipotle F.I.T. BrineTM
~Note~ Choose the brine flavor based on wood to be used for smoking
(Hickory and Mesquite go best with the same wood; Jamaican Jerk, Savory Chipotle, and Sweet & Spicy can be paired with any wood smoke flavor)
INGREDIENTS (10+ servings):
- 1 pork butt
- F.I.T. BrineTM, one of the recommended flavors divided into:
- Brining Spices - 1oz (approximately half of 1/3 cup) of brine for every 2 lbs of pork butt
- Seasoning Spices - 1oz (approximately half of 1/3 cup) of brine for every 5 lbs of pork butt
- 1/2 cup honey
~24-36 hours before smoking~
- Trim pork butt as necessary. Using a large carving fork, poke holes into the pork butt in all directions
- Place pork butt in a large bag (2 gallon if available)
- Add Brining Spices - 1oz of F.I.T. BrineTM for every 2 lbs of pork butt (example: for a 10lbs pork butt, use 5oz F.I.T. BrineTM)
- Add just enough water to the bag so the pork butt will be submerged in the brine once the air is removed.
- Remove the air from the bag and seal using a zip tie or twist tie.
- Shake till spices and water are mixed
- Allow pork butt to brine for about 24-36hrs in a fridge or cooler with ice. (~Optional~ half way through brining time, flip the pork butt)
- ~Optional~ About 6hrs before smoking, remove pork butt from the fridge/cooler and leave on counter to warm back up to room temperature
- Take the pork butt out of the brine and place on a large cutting board.
- Warm 1/2 cup of honey and rub all over pork butt
- Take Seasoning Spices - 1oz of F.I.T. BrineTM for every 5 lbs of pork butt and rub all over pork butt till it has a thorough coat.
- ~Optional~ For a coarser and spicier crust, add half cracked black pepper to Seasoning Spices before applying to pork butt
- Preheat your smoker till it reaches 235°F and maintain that temperature throughout smoking
- Place the pork butt in the smoker and insert a thermometer into the thickest part of the pork butt.
- Smoke pork butt till the thermometer reaches 165°F.
- Take the pork butt out of the smoker and wrap in foil.
- Place the pork butt back into the smoker and allow it to continue to smoke till thermometer reaches 195°F.
- Take the pork butt out of the smoker.
- Unwrap the foil and drain as much as of the liquid from the pork butt as possible.
- Re-wrap in foil and allow it to rest for several hours
- Carve and serve with recommended side dishes (Found in the Vegetables & Sides Section)